Jacksonville Bicentennial Celebration
Join us in celebrating Jacksonville’s 200th Birthday! Beginning at noon, enjoy music and performing arts in James Weldon Johnson Park, with breaks to enjoy the Laura Street experience:
Commemorate. Celebrate, Elevate.
As you meander down Laura Street, peruse the Bicentennial Gallery featuring artists and artisans showcasing our city’s impressive talent. Pause to view video history stations that chronicle the cultural, professional, and industrial contributions that have shaped our multi-faceted city on the magnificent St. Johns River. Partake in local food specialties, and an assortment of beers and spirits that have received critical acclaim in prominent national publications; made right here, in our River City.
At 3 p.m., gather in front of historic City Hall to commemorate this auspicious milestone, complete with a performance of “Lift Ev’ry Voice and Sing” in the park named for the songwriter, a proclamation, and an official welcome by Honorary Chairs Mayor Lenny Curry, and former mayors Alvin Brown, John Peyton and John Delaney. Then follow the Southeast Navy Band as it leads the parade to the site formerly known as The Landing.
Once you arrive at Riverfront Plaza, relax. Make yourself comfortable. Enjoy some amazing music by a funky fusion brass band, a Blues Trio, a soulful country music duo, and an indie pop band. And at 10 p.m., turn your gaze skyward for the Special Edition Fireworks display!
A city has but one Bicentennial. Let’s make ours count!
Click HERE to RSVP
- Street festival beginning at James Weldon Johnson Park in downtown Jacksonville and ending at Riverfront Park (former site of The Landing). Please register on EventBrite to attend the free event.
- Noon-3 p.m. Performances and other family-friendly programming in James Weldon Johnson Park, exhibits, booths, vendors, food trucks and more along Laura Street.
- 3 p.m. Opening Ceremony: Reading of original petition to name the city; reading of Mayoral Proclamation and march from James Weldon Johnson Park down Laura Street to Riverfront Plaza.
- 5 p.m. Live Music, Multiple Bands: Let’s Ride Brass Band; The Honey Hounds; Love and Theft; Headliner: Flipturn at 9:04 p.m.
- 10:15 p.m. Fireworks Display
Get your Bicentennial merchandise now and come dressed for the occasion! https://jax200.myshopify.com/